MASS MoCA seeks applicants for Buildings and Grounds Manager. This position reports to the Deputy Director and will plan, organize, and direct the operations, maintenance, and repair of buildings and building systems on the MASS MoCA campus and satellite properties.
Include (but are not limited to):
- Directing and coordinating the Buildings and Grounds, Custodial, and Security Departments
- Managing, supervising, and motivating staff
- Managing the operation, maintenance, and replacement of building systems
- Managing facilities to save energy and preserve buildings
- Ensuring the MASS MoCA safety program and goals are carried out in compliance with all requirements
- Maintaining a fiscally responsible Buildings and Grounds budget
- Materials purchasing and inventory control
- Reviewing, directing, and authorizing contractual work
- Coordinating staff work with museum exhibitions and performing arts productions
- Maintaining commercial tenant spaces and supervising custodial services
- Associate’s Degree in Public Administration, Facilities Management, or any related field, and at least three (3) years of experience in supervising or managing a full-service facilities operations program; or at least five (5) years of experience in facilities management in a complex with comparable scale and complexity
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of facilities management and maintenance
- Good understanding of laws and regulations governing building codes
- Massachusetts Construction Supervisor’s License is preferred
- Ability to use basic computer office applications
- Ability to read and interpret architectural drawings, specifications, and sketches
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers, advisory board personnel, government officials, and the public
To apply, email a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please. MASS MoCA is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity in its workforce.
MASS MoCA seeks a full-time Graphic Designer who will be responsible for a wide array of projects spanning every department of the museum including Marketing, Visual and Performing Arts, Development, Education, Visitor Services, Operations, and Retail. Projects include, but are not limited to, seasonal program brochures, postcards, posters, exhibition design collateral, catalogues, analog and digital advertisements, vinyl signage (production and application), store products, festival and concert collateral, site way-finding, and more.
The ideal candidate will be a problem-solver with excellent design skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to prioritize.
- BA or BFA in Graphic Design
- 3+ years of professional design experience, preferably in a cultural institution
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Mac OSX, and MS Word
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, as well as the ability to work quickly under tight deadlines
- An eye for detail and brand consistency, and a solid understanding of typography
- Knowledge of pre-press techniques and file preparation, and experience with vendor management
To apply, email a résumé, cover letter, and a link to an online portfolio (or PDF) to email@example.com.
No phone calls please. MASS MoCA is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity in its workforce.
MASS MoCA is seeking applicants for a Maintenance Staff position at the museum.
Maintenance staff responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting in preparation for special museum functions by setting up facilities such as tents, stages, concessions, barbeque pits, or special equipment
- Assisting in repair and construction of cabinets, counters, shelving, and furniture
- Wall construction including framing, drywall, taping, finishing, and painting
- Unclogging drains and repairing faucets, sinks, and toilets
- All aspects of lawn and grounds care
- All aspects of snow and ice removal including shoveling, sanding, and operating snow blowers and snowplows
- Performing preventative maintenance, such as lubricating and greasing motors, pumps, and bearings; adjusting and replacing belts; and tightening and lubricating chains
- Installing, maintaining, inspecting, and repairing equipment, refrigeration and heating units; calibrating equipment to manufacturers’ specifications
- Soldering and/or welding various materials
Ideal applicants must have knowledge of the types and uses of equipment and materials used in the performance of maintenance work, including skills in using power tools and maintenance machinery. Applicants must be able to follow verbal and written instructions, and be able to read and interpret documents such as plans, blueprints, specifications, and drawings. Applicants must be able to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, staff members, and others at the museum.
Maintenance staff must be able to work indoors and outdoors and may be exposed to adverse weather conditions; must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds or greater; are required to climb ladders and scaffolds; must be OSHA 10 trained or have equivalent demonstrable safety knowledge; and may need to work varied shifts or irregular hours. Ability to work on weekends/holidays is a must. Maintenance staff may be required to operate motor vehicles based on the assignment.
To apply, obtain and complete an application from MASS MoCA's Box Office at 87 Marshall Street, North Adams. You can also email a résumé, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. MASS MoCA is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity in its workforce.
Enjoy people? Enjoy art? MASS MoCA is hiring temporary seasonal security staff for the Spring & Summer season.
The right candidates will enjoy working in a museum environment and have the ability to communicate clearly and cordially with our guests. A flexible schedule including weekend and holiday work, walking and standing for extended periods of time, and just a touch of patience will be required.
To apply, obtain and complete an application from MASS MoCA's Box Office at 87 Marshall Street, North Adams. You can also email a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please. MASS MoCA is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity in its workforce. Retirees encouraged to apply.
MASS MoCA is seeking the services of a full-time Custodian. Custodial responsibilities will include:
- Performing all routine cleaning tasks including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning restrooms, washing windows and walls, restocking supplies and other duties assigned using prescribed procedures
- Trash removal, recycling, and sanitation of waste receptacles
- Cleaning and supporting special events on the MASS MoCA campus
- Reporting observed damages or defects in assigned areas
- Assisting with snow removal and sanding
- Implementing technical and safety procedures as instructed by his/her supervisor
- Assuming additional responsibilities as required
Ideal candidates must be able to lift 50 pounds or more on a regular basis. Candidates must demonstrate ample knowledge of cleaning safety procedures and certifications, methods, materials, equipment, and an ability to operate mechanical cleaning equipment. Candidates must be able to function well in a team/community environment, displaying common courtesy and politeness; custodial work involves frequent interaction with patrons, co-workers, and administrators. Candidates must be flexible and willing to work alone as well as in teams, and may be required to work various shifts if needed; ability to work on weekends and holidays is a must.
To apply, obtain and complete an application from MASS MoCA's Box Office at 87 Marshall Street, North Adams. You can also email a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. MASS MoCA is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity in its workforce. Retirees encouraged to apply.
Master Electrician/ Stage Crew
Start Date: ASAP
Located in North Adams, Massachusetts, MASS MoCA is one of the world's premier centers for making and showing the best art of our time. MASS MoCA presents approximately 65 events per year and operates a 10,000 sq/ft black box theater, a 200- seat club space year round, two outdoor venues in the summer months, plus one to three outdoor summer music festivals per year. Responsibilities include: work with directors and guest directors on lighting for all productions, lighting design for in-house productions and spaces, maintain lighting equipment, serve as light board operator, and set up and strike for all productions.
Although all crew members have their own focused area of expertise, the crew operates as a team and each person assists in all areas of production including stage and riser builds, sound, lights, A/V.
Requirements: BA /BFA or equivalent professional experience, familiar with traditional and conventional practices of theatre stagecraft. Should have experience with executing lighting plots for dance, concerts and theatre productions, as well as ability to adapt to untraditional venues, such as galleries, outdoor stages and street events. Knowledge of ETC ION lighting console preferred.
We work with a wide range of artists and change venues frequently, including off-site and in-gallery productions. We are looking for a master electrician who enjoys being fast on their feet, and likes getting involved in all phases of production from creation to finished product. We also require a person who looks forward to providing excellent service and ideas to visiting artists-in-residence.
Send resumé to: email@example.com. ATT: Master Electrician. No phone calls please.
MASS MoCA is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity in its workforce.
MASS MoCA Internship Program
All summer 2015 internships are filled. Check back for fall 2015.
MASS MoCA seeks full-time interns for various departments. Spend any season in the culturally rich, naturally beautiful Berkshires, while gaining invaluable professional experience in the arts. Paid interns are given $100/week stipend and free housing within a block of the complex (cable, internet, and utilities included). Each applicant may apply to a maximum of 2 departments.
Summer Internships dates: Monday, June 1 - Monday, September 7 (subject to availability). Applications due: Monday, March 2.;
TO APPLY: Send application, cover letter, resume, and 2 reference letters to: MASS MoCA, c/o Meghan Robertson, Intern Coordinator, 1040 MASS MoCA Way, North Adams, MA 01247, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax (413) 664-4519.
A: We encourage you to apply via email. You may submit application materials (this application, cover letter, resume, and two reference letters) in the text of an email or as Microsoft Word attachments. Reference letters may be submitted separately by the person writing the letter. Please ask reference to include contact information in their letter. Submit all applications to Meghan Robertson.
A: Yes. Two reference letters may be submitted via email with your application or separately. Please ask letter-writers to include contact information.
A: Yes. Please address mailed applications to Meghan Robertson, Company Manager, MASS MoCA, 1040 MASS MoCA Way, North Adams, MA 01247.
A: MASS MoCA can only accept applications from applicants who already have US citizenship or a work visa for work in the USA. Unfortunately we are unable to be a host organization for an international applicant.
STIPEND AND HOUSING
A: All departments offer each intern $100/week stipend plus housing for the duration of the internship in that department.
A: Located within walking distance from MASS MoCA, intern housing is furnished with basic furniture, pots and pans, and silverware. Interns share a bedroom (usually 2 interns per bedroom) and common areas with fellow interns. Interns are responsible for their own meals.
A: No. Pets are not permitted in intern housing. Please find alternate pet care for the full duration of your internship.
WORK HOURS AND DAYS OFF
A: Full time Interns will work 50+ hours per week. This is the best way to experience the inner workings of each department. Days off are determined by each department according to its needs.
A: If you have a wedding or some other brief (23 days) event to attend that has been planned in advance, please inform us ASAP if you are selected for an interview. If you would need to leave the internship for one week or more, please do not apply now. Consider applying in the future when your schedule is more flexible. We are looking for people who can work continuously for the duration of an internship.
A: Yes. Once a week interns will meet for a presentation and discussion by department heads and/or visiting artists. During the summer season, we also plan all-intern excursions to other regional cultural institutions, such as the Clark Art Institute, Williamstown Theater Festival, Jacob's Pillow and more.
A: Each intern is responsible for his or her own travel expenses.
A: Please email Meghan Robertson.
Event Staff/Ushers work at live events and gallery openings to help assist patrons. Volunteers need to be able to stand for at least an hour at a time (possibly more, depending on event) and communicate clearly and comfortably with the public.
Administrative helpers work with the development department as needed on mailings and other tasks. Participants must have fine motor skills and be very organized. An ability to copy-edit is also desirable.
Kidspace volunteers staff public hours in the Kidspace gallery, encouraging and assisting children in art-making. They can be responsible for clean-up and locking the facilities at the end of their shift. Kidspace volunteers must be able to work unsupervised and have a demonstrated interest in working with children. Kidspace volunteers must be willing to work alone, learn about the works on view, and offer a welcoming presence to visitors.
Gallery sitters We assist Down Street Art in finding staff for temporary downtown galleries during the summer and fall. Gallery sitters must be willing to work alone, learn about the works on view, and offer a welcoming presence to the public.
Other opportunities Past volunteers have assisted with art installation, maintained live art exhibits (plants/animals/etc.), assisted with Free Day and other community activities, and participated in residencies and live performances.
To add your name to our list of volunteer contacts, please contact Catherine at 413.664.4481 ext.8109.