Bang on a Can Marathon|
Saturday, August 1, 2009, 4:00 pm
$24/ Members 10% discount.
As part of the Bang on a Can Summer Music Festival, Bang on a Can brings its signature event back to the Berkshires! 30+ musicians and composers from around the world team up for 6-hours on non-stop, boundary smashing music. Highlights to include George Antheil’s futuristic classic Ballet Mećanique (Listen now!) in which the "ballet" is not a show of human dancers but of mechanical instruments -- player pianos, airplane propellers, and electric bells and more, John Adams’ riveting Shaker Loops,(Listen now!) a four-part piece for seven solo strings in which each instrument is assigned a "loop" of melodic material which, when heard together, results in constantly shifting play; and 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner David Lang’s Pierced, a rhythmic smorgasbord that seems to pull from jazz, rock, and dub-step realms all at once, and much more!This project has been made possible by the National Endowment for the Arts as part of American Masterpieces: Three Centuries of Artistic Genius.
Galleries open until 8 PM.
- Still Life with Avalanche by Missy Mazzoli
- Three Heavens and Hells by Meredith Monk
- Friction Systems by David M. Gordon
- Cat o' Nine Tails by John Zorn
- East meets West arrangements of music (including a tune by Thom Yorke) for Western and Central Asian instruments
- Pierced by David Lang
- Song and Dance by Frederic Rzewski
- Distorted Indulgence by Lok Yin Tang
- The Boat by Lisa Bielawa
- Snakes & Ladders by Fred Frith
Reviews of Saturday's event Bang on a Can plays Steve Reich in Berkshire Living, Boston Globe, and Albany Times Union were glowing, and there's more to come at the Marathon. Don't miss it!
- Music from Kyrgyzstan
- Dark Full Ride by Julia Wolfe
- BachFeet "Brownie you're doin' a heck of a job” by Eve Beglarian
- Shaker Loops by John Adams
- Music from Uzbekistan
- Light is Calling by Michael Gordon
- Ballet Mecanique by George Antheil
Learn more about the faculty.
Visit Bang on a Can's website.
Visit Bang on a Can's myspace.
Read a Bang on a Can review.